Home automation actuators: what are they?
A home automation system has the ability to obtain information from sensors, process it and issue orders to home automation actuators or outputs. Counting only on an internet connection so that the entire network has Wi-Fi coverage, we can rely on an interconnected network that turns the home into a smart home.
When we talk about home automation we think of devices that are connected to each other, send information and share it with the rest of the system to generate a reaction based on a specific user. It is in this communication where the heart of home automation lies, its differentiating component. Typically, this is set through a mobile app or through the use of a smart speaker, which is all the rage these days.
How do home automation actuators work?
The data obtained is stored, through the use of an IP address, in the cloud or on a private server of the company and the terminals that receive the orders are household appliances such as lighting devices, the ventilation, blinds, awnings or air conditioning equipment.
A home automation actuator or home automation actuator is the device that performs the action requested from the controller on a specific element of the home (such as opening a door, turning on a light, lowering the temperature, etc.). For example, a temperature sensor that we have placed in the bedroom can activate the switch (actuator) of the heating. Commonly, these types of devices are distributed throughout the house and, in many cases, the sensor and the actuator are integrated in the same device.
To fully understand how these mechanisms work, we must begin by knowing the different parts of a home automation system.
What are the parts of a home automation system?
In this section, we will try to simplify the parts of a home automation system in such a way that, if you are thinking of incorporating this technology into your home or building, you can see how simple it is to incorporate it and how easy it is to understand it.
Many times we believe that behind this idea of a ”smart home” there needs to be someone in the house who is an expert in technology. This is not true, quite the opposite. The concept of home automation is based on being accessible to the user. Today, with all the technological advances that exist, starting to use home automation is suitable for everyone. Even children can operate home automation systems!
The home automation system
In general, a smart home or one equipped with a home automation system has certain intelligent and autonomous systems made up of three elements:
- Sensors: They are in charge of registering and monitoring the environment. They can detect climatic variables such as humidity, temperature, natural light, at a specific point and even locate movement in specific areas. These sensors, which send information to the control center, usually have batteries or power systems that give them autonomy. Many times, they are even powered by sunlight or other resources available in the environment, which significantly reduces their maintenance.
- Home automation controllers: A home automation controller is one of the units in which the information collected by the sensors is processed and stored. They are the devices that are responsible for managing the entire home automation system. They are designed to process information and issue orders to the third part of the system, the actuators. A home automation controller is the place where the entire configuration of the system is carried out and from where the main variables of the home are established and parameterized.
- Home automation actuators: This is the part of the system that is responsible for executing the orders received from the home automation controller. A controller can take the form of a valve and control or cut off the water or gas supply, it can be a temperature modifier in the air conditioner or a valve that is part of the irrigation system.
Benefits of home automation systems
Home automation is about automation through technological systems aimed at controlling different elements and household appliances. That is why it has many benefits that can be applied to different real estate projects, according to the needs of each client:
- Security: Automating a home allows you to be permanently connected to it. So the elements of the system can be controlled easily and remotely. Users can know what is happening at all times and we are not only referring to the entry of intruders into the home, you can also detect a water or gas leak and thus prevent many incidents.
- Comfort: By facilitating the daily life of users, home automation makes daily activities simpler. If we understand comfort as everything that provides comfort and generates well-being in the user, it is not difficult to realize that this can be generated both by some physical object and by environmental circumstances. Having the temperature, the right lighting, being able to have silence when we need it, and feeling safe, everything is part of comfort. In a home automation system, comfort can be controlled from a single device and the system can be as complex or simple as each project requires, it can even be adapted to the changing needs of the house.
- Savings: In terms of both time and costs, home automation systems are facilitators of savings in every sense. By assuming greater efficiency, they manage to save energy, effort, time, and money by being able to control the system without the need to be present.
Home automation in your home
If you think that a Smart Home is far from your possibilities, let us tell you that it is easier than you imagine. At Manuel Torres Design we develop smart spaces thanks to home automation. Whether you want to have home automation, you want to include home automation and new technologies in your space, you want a workplace in line with innovations and the latest trends in technology or you wonder how to include a home automation system in your building or office, we are sure that there is a home automation system according to your budget.
Do not think that there isn’t a smart home project tailored to your needs, contact us to work with an experienced team that always seeks to be one step ahead and be at the forefront of design, innovation, technology, and home automation.